Essential oils have many uses. They can be used to make air fresheners, household cleaners and beauty products. But, one of my favorite uses for essential oils is to make my own unique perfume. There’s no better way to use your favorite scent then to wear it! While making your own perfume or cologne may seem daunting, it can be very easy. You will need a glass roll-on bottle, a carrier oil, and essential oils.
The carrier oil will be the base of your perfume or cologne. It will dilute the essential oils so they are safe to apply to your skin. There are several different types of carrier oils to choose from. Sweet almond oil, coconut oil, avocado oil, and jojoba oil are a few popular carrier oils.
Which essential oils you choose to make your perfume or cologne are up to you. Some essential oils are earthy, such as patchouli and vetiver, and some are floral, such as geranium and lavender. Other essential oils are woodsy, such as sandalwood and cedarwood and some are citrus, such as lemon, lime and orange.
You can experiment using different combinations of your favorite essential oils, or you can use blends. I have included a list of popular blends. You can add and equal number of drops for each essential oil, or your can add more drops of the scent you like, and less or the scent you don’t like. You can also research your own blends on Pinterest.
Essential Oil Perfume Blends:
- vanilla, rose, lavender
- grapefruit, peppermint, vanilla
- orange, grapefruit, peppermint, lavender, chamomile
- sandalwood, vanilla
- rose, rose geranium, lavender
Essential Oil Cologne Blends:
- balsam fir, orange, frankincense
- cardamom, vetiver, ylang ylang
- black pepper, coriander, sandalwood
- cypress, marjoram, wintergreen
You will need:
- roll-on glass bottle
- a carrier oil
- essential oils
- small plastic funnel
- Swiss key
- Remove the roller ball piece from the bottle using a Swiss key (optional).
- Fill the bottle at least half way with your carrier oil.
3. Add the desired amount of essential oils of your choice. I used 10 drops of vanilla essential oil and 10 drops of sandalwood essential oil.
4. Replace roller ball piece and cap. Shake well. Label bottle (optional).
You’re done! Feel free to add more essential oils to your perfume or cologne to make the scent just the way you like it!
Join the TwoSavvyCents e-mail list for e-mails and newsletters about what’s new!