Everyone loves spending time outdoors in the summer. It’s a great time for picnics, gardening, ball games and going to the park. It’s also a great time for pesky mosquitoes.
While store bought bug sprays can be costly and harsh smelling, you can make your own bug spray by using two simple ingredients and citronella essential oil. Citronella essential oil is a natural mosquito repellent. There are many other essential oils are good for using in bug sprays. For this recipe, I have used citronella as my main essential oil, and smaller amounts of lemongrass and eucalyptus essential oils. Adding other essential oils makes a more pleasant smell, and to adds to the strength of the repellent.
Other essential oils for bug sprays:
- Tea Tree
- 2 oz. spray bottle
- 1/4 cup distilled water
- 1/4 cup witch hazel
- 15 – 20 drops citronella essential oil
- 3 – 6 drops your choice of other essential oils (listed above)
- Add 1/4 cup distilled water and 1/4 cup witch hazel to the spray bottle.
- Next, add 15 – 20 drops citronella essential oil.
- Add 3 – 6 drops of other essential oils (listed above).
- Replace cap and label the bottle (optional). Your’re done!